Property Management Co.
Excellence in Management – Skid Row Housing Trust not only develops permanent supportive housing, it ensures the long term success of the residents with good management.
Established in 1995, the SRHT Property Management Company was formed to provide well run homes that would also meet the needs of formerly homeless men and women. The Trust provides a unique model where property management staff collaborate with supportive services staff to work together toward the common goal of resident housing stability. The Property Management Company also has more than 15 years of experience successfully hiring and training community residents to manage the day-to-day operations of its housing, a concept which fosters a sense of ownership and pride among residents.
SRHT Property Management utilizes an Enhanced property management approach. With this approach, property managers conduct all the traditional activities of a landlord (e.g. resident screening, rent collection, maintenance and repairs and evictions) with the goal of minimizing evictions and maximizing housing stability. The blending of social work with property management helps SRHT Property Management to focus on the double bottom line: both people and properties.
Basic Principles of Enhanced Property Management:
- Separate the landlord and service provider functions in order to ensure resident advocacy focus and emphasize status as leaseholder and not program participant.
- Work collaboratively with residents and service providers to develop individualized eviction prevention plans, including negotiation of creative alternatives and lease addenda.
- Make creative accommodations to address challenges related to low income and disability, including physical building accommodations, unit transfers, inspection schedules, payment plans, etc.
- Maintain close working relationship with residents.
- 24-hour on-call availability of management, maintenance and services staff.
- Referral and advocacy with community service systems.
- Maintain a visible on-site presence, balanced with respect for privacy.
- Train and involve maintenance staff in organizational mission to assist with resident education, problem identification and reporting.
- Work closely with residential and business neighbors, police, etc. and encourage open communication.
- Respect residents’ rights and support resident organization and involvement.
The Property Management Company was started to establish a higher standard of excellence in housing operations. Excellence is measured by the success of our residents. By providing a community that is welcoming, safe, and supportive, the Trust ensures every resident’s opportunity to thrive. Today, the Property Management Company handles the operation and maintenance of more than to 1,600 apartments of housing in 24 buildings and employees a staff of over 150.